Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Here's To 2013

I love and hate New Year's Resolutions.  Why do we have to wait for a certain day to resolve to be different?  What makes this one day so special, so magical?  And yet, there is something so beautiful about a clean slate.  But only if it's completely clean, because I can't stand it when someone erases a board and leaves little bits of previous work in the corners.  But I digress.

This year I am going to make a concerted effort to accomplish great things.  According to Benjamin Franklin, "many people die at twenty five and aren't buried until seventy five."  If I only have five more years to live, I want to live them well.  Starting now.  I have this incredible opportunity looming ahead of me- in one week, I fly to Jerusalem, where I will live for four months.  I don't know what I'm doing after that, but I hope it will be something incredible, something worth writing about.  This year I turn 20, and I want something to show for it.  I spent a lot of time compiling the following list of things I will try to finish this year.  Some of them seem trite, and maybe I'll be scoffed at, but they each mean something to me and represent change.  With that being said, here's a list to be judged by:

  1. Run a 5K
  2. Perform in front of people
  3. Figure out what creme brulee is, and make some
  4. Jump off a rope swing
  5. Scream at the top of my lungs
  6. Learn how to do a back handspring
  7. Go skydiving
  8. Develop a new hobby
  9. Ask someone on a date
  10. Watch a meteor shower
  11. Stop watching TV
  12. Play real life Fruit Ninja
  13. Go skiing
  14. Win and yell "Bingo!" 
  15. Have a paint fight
  16. Stand under a waterfall
  17. Visit Four Corners
  18. Plant a tree
  19. Ride a Segway scooter
  20. See something incredible
New year, new chances.  Here's to something great.

3 comments:

  1. http://allrecipes.com/recipe/creme-brulee/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Go prepared to play in waterfalls at Ceasarea. I'm sure I spelled that wrong. As for skydiving, it's on my bucket list too. Can I come with you?

    ReplyDelete
  3. http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/creme-brulee-recipe/index.html

    Start working on it and let me know how it tastes.

    ReplyDelete